An interesting story:)

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

An interesting story:)

Post by :FI:Ghost » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Did you drink alcohol before flight?

A: I did it once and never tried again. I missed enemy fighter and almost missed the landing strip and decided not to risk in the future. I remember one Il-2 pilot who did flew drunk, but sometimes it lead to some funny stuff. I had to cover him once on a search and destroy mission in Vyborg Gulf. Il driver had a task for the day and he was free to choose time and route of flight. We took off at the midday, and started to fly towards Finnish border. I could not understand where he was going. I passed in front of him, then I tried to lead him but he was not responding. I was piloting a Yak-7, so I finally shot at him. Then he turned and followed me back. When we landed I saw that he and his gunner were totally drunk! We let them sleep for a while, and when they woke up I found out that they both were sleeping in flight, and that my shots woke ‘em up. The task was not completed, and in the evening we started in the air once again. We were going over Baltic Sea, and found a ship convoy. I saw it first; as I was 500 m higher and let Il pilot know. He asked for directions. I oriented him, so he made his attack at the large transport with rockets. It was all ablaze, and I thought that he was going to go home now, but instead he turned around and went in with cannons. When we came home we found a piece of the mast stucked in his wing. Now it is exhibited in naval museum in St-Petersburg. Of course he would see it if he did not have a hangover…

If you want to read the whole interview and many others, go here:http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/ ... omirov.htm
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:16 am

I think flying a fully loaded Sturmo in a target rich environment whilst drunk..

WOULD BE A BLAST!!!! :badgrin:

Great story.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:42 am

Flying under the afflence of incohol, cosuming alcofrolic beverages while in a mission.

Thats it, out with you.. you...

Seriously. I never drink booze during missions, hard and fast rule. I stick to beer and thats that.

And tonight I will mainly be drinking Timothy Taylors Landlord. A refreshing and very drinkable pale ale from Keighley. :beer:
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Good story. I concur with Scott, I don't drink booze when flying...only an ocassion bottle of vodka, gin, beer, ever clear, kerosine, but never booze!

Igor da 'yeah, going home to my wife...Morgan Fairchild...whom I've seen nakeeed...."
:FI:Igor
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Morgan Fairchild...whom I've seen nakeeed...."
Awriiight!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!