JOYSTICKS

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

JOYSTICKS

Post by Airhawk14 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:34 pm

I am looking for a joystick so i can play the IL-2 series in a more enjoyable way. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on one that I should get. I was looking for a fairly cheap one with force feedback(if possible) and a lot of buttons. I am open to any suggestions whether it is what I like or not.

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Well, this Logitech´s Fprce 3D pro was pretty cheap (56 Euros), it´s got force feedback, and let´s see... 12 buttons, plus hatswitch plus throttle...

I only got it today, so haven´t had the change to test it properly...
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Ege
Professional Boardie

Post by Ege » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:14 pm

Sapper, I thought about bying Force 3D pro. Is it easy to reach every button while playing? And more importantly, how does the force feedback feel? Do your hands tire while you use it?
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Is it easy to reach every button while playing?
Yeah, no problems... There´s only one button which is stupidly placed... In my old stick, there was this place where you put you thumb, when you got a grip of the stick... Force 3D has a same kind of spot in it, but there´s also a button in the same place... I keep on accidentally pushing it, while playing ;)

The top of the hat switch is a bit too narrow for my taste.. My finger keeps sliding from it, when i use it...
And more importantly, how does the force feedback feel?
I´ve never had a force feedback before, so i have nothing to compare it... But i think it´s pretty mild... At least my hands wont tire because of it..
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
fighter_bomber
Boardie

Post by fighter_bomber » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:03 pm

New Logitechs tend to break down a lot. However, i can't really critisise your choice cause i'm only using a Saitek ST90 :?
Made of bad metal and with lots of holes - just like my plane.
Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:18 am

Saiteks wear out also. Logitech has better actual stick, Saitek switchgear appears to be more robust. And if you crush one in your hand (not naming names....Keppoch..) the software is handy for having multiple joysticks whilst playing, double your throttles, double your fun. Flaps are on the busted throttle one for me, along with a bunch of bomber stuff that I never use. Progressive flaps can be a lifesaver though, every plane in the game (pretty much) has them, even the Spits. Airbrakes are on it too. Design by Keppoch. :lol:
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:45 am

fighter_bomber wrote:New Logitechs tend to break down a lot. However, i can't really critisise your choice cause i'm only using a Saitek ST90 :?
I used to like that stick, it has a lot lighter throw than my Saitek X-45 and despite being foldable was sturdy enough to be passed on to someone else when I upgraded.

I love the X-45 as you get the seperate throttle and enough mapable controls to just about dispense with a keyboard in flight, if you can't run to pedals the rocker switch under the throttle lever is a good substitute as well. On the down side it is a bulky set up and the movement on the stick is nowhere near as smooth as some others.

I've never tried force feedback so I couldn't comment other than recalling a friend who had an MS stick with it (cant remember the name) and it sounded like a marital aid when working.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.