Pearl to Japan

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:14 pm

:FI:Genosse wrote:... Let´s see what the peeps will say tonight ....

I say we fly the Crimea missions in Burma

and damn the probability!

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Saw you guys on HL but as usual I was in late.

Altar-Never on time-Boy.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Never mind.

G
I fear no beer

Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 am

Good times as usual, boys!

Falcon, I wanted to tell you over TS, but I never got a pause--I guess the forum will do:

Thanks for skinning all those planes for us! Your artwork rocks! :D
eye hammer hue jury tarred
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:25 am

Well,

thanks Pickle ol'pard,

but even though I've done almost a 1500 skins for the flippin' Great :FI: Skinnin' Project you guys haven't flown ANY of MY designs yet!

gah!

The P-40b/c skin that we used tonight was made by :FI:Snaphoo. He should get all the praise there.

Thanks for the comments mate. That, and the much less lag afflicted sessions make us very happy for the whole squadron.

Falcon

EDIT:

Look at the names of the skins. The last letter sequence is the skinner's sig.

Snp = Snaphoo

Fcn = Falcon

Ntr = Noter

Gen = Genosse

SR (or blank) = Sneaky Russian

??? = Spitsfire
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Oh, and the Buffalo is Snaphoo's too.

F

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Hard Core FI for sure

Post by MikeVictor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:35 pm

12 hours?!

Now that's what I call dedication and above and beyond.

Thanks for the effort ol' boy, :beg:

MicVic
:D
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:24 am

Well, the artwork is all amazing. Complete with the dirt marks and everything. I don't know how 8-bits are made to look so deep.

It's too bad the distribution/coordination of skins is so difficult in this game. Even if it's intractable, flying with default skins still gives me a nice feeling of comradery while still displaying the hard-work you guys put in.

Maybe a good compromise would be to only have personalized skins for those people and those planes that put in the time to make it personal. I'm happy to fly with the IL2 37 mark on a default skin. For my FAVORITE plane, you will likely see me design a very special skin, however! But probably only for one or two. For this reason I feel bad making people redownload the whole 20MB for every plane in IL2.

Once I finish skinning my favorite one or two planes, though, I will want everyone to download it so they know when I'm flying happy :D

However, I don't really feel like I OWN any of the planes yet. Spitfire maybe, but I'm too clumsy to deserve a personalized skin yet.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 am

Just remember ...

there are IL-2 default skins

and :FI: DEFAULT skins available at that link we gave to you earlier.

Last week the lag was minimal for me and I heard few complaints ~crosses fingers~ so at least d'l the ac that we are flying. The :FI:campaign/session/scenario designers usually post which ac will be flown.

EX: D'l the P-40b/c skin folder, place ALL these skins in each of the following folders,

Hawk-81 /// P-40B /// P-40C /// TomahawkMkIIa /// TomahawkMkIIb

that's it.

Yeah, not too streamlined, but fine art should be handled carefully ... right?

;)

If you don't have the :FI: skins then turn "Skin Download" off and/or fly with an IL-2 default skin.

To join in the Great :FI: Skin ... thingie start posting your work in the appropriate stickie threads in the "Skinner's Forum".

Oh ...

if you do a Spit just remember the bad stretched, warped area on the aft fuselage. The warp IS correctible, but making 50 member skins for it if you place the squad number there is a pain in the arse!

Lookin' forward to seein' your stuff,

Falcon

Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 am

I do download all the skins, and if I'm not sure I have them, I turn off skins when we play.

Downloading the default skins isn't enough though, the way it's currently set up, of course.

If we start a campaign that involves one fighter for a long period of time, THEN I will haul ass to make my skin ;). No way I'm designing a skin for the F4U with only one more Sunday.

-Jack
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:41 am

Nellip's Crimea Campaign:

Pe2
Pe3 bis
A20
LaGG3
P39
La5
Yak 1b
Yak7b
EDIT:
I-16
IL-2
Mig-3

Strangelove's Smolensk campaign:

???

Genosse's Burma campaign

P-40
Buffalo
???

Tactical's Historic Encounters:

???

Ardmore's Pacific campaign:

Corsair
SBD
Hellcat
???

Do we need a sticky where mission designers can post their plane lists, campaign details, times, briefings and debriefings?

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:53 am

:FI:Falcon wrote:Just remember ...

If you don't have the :FI: skins then turn "Skin Download" off and/or fly with an IL-2 default skin.
Right, though it is not enough to fly with a default skin and keep download on. I'd still waste the bandwidth trying to download all YOUR skins then. If you have any doubt about whether you have all the skins, it's probably prudent to turn off the skin downloads.

-Jack
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:15 am

I think you're right. I'm in the art department and should stop wonderin' over to the tech department on my break.

Thanks for clearin' that up.

F

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Nellip's Crimea Campaign:

Pe2
Pe3 bis
A20
LaGG3
P39
La5
Yak 1b
Yak7b

F
And the IL2 :D

Same planeset for Stalingrad missions I have written - might be a couple of Mig3's in there also.

I have written 5 missions so far for Lvov map for Eastern Front campaign which need I16.

Not sure what happened with Doc's Smolensk missions - I think he had a hard drive crash and lost them. As the Pearl to Japan campaign is nearly over (one more week Vin?) we need to decide what we do next.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Yep Neil, this will be the final three missions this coming Sunday, I'm guessing everyone will have 4.08 version by then.
Details of event are on the calander, skins required but not compulsory are F4U-1C, F4U-1D and F6F-5.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss