Fun Corsair facts...

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Fun Corsair facts...

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:11 pm

found this whilst trying to track down info on JATO equipped Corsairs..

Yes, JATO was used but not much or often it seems. The reason I was looking was that I saw a short movie advertisement on TV showing a Corsair BLASTING off the flight deck and ALL of the filght deck hands covering their ears as it went by. :shock: Not much info about JATO at the site but a LOT of info about Corsairs and variants.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avf4u.html
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:56 pm

There's a tiny clip of a Corsair JATO carrier take-off about a minute and a half into the following film:

(EDIT: Link removed, no hotlinks allowed)
(Uh, go to http://www.ww2incolor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then 'Image Gallery'. You'll find a section called 'ww2 movies in color' at the bottom. Download the film 'To the shores of Iwo Jima' for the JATO bit, and check the rest out as they're superb - especially the P-47 one!)

Check out the root site, WW2 in color - I think it's been posted here before but in case anyone missed it, it's an incredible repository of full colour (or 'color' ;) ) photos and films from, you guessed it, WW2.

Willie, did you ever hear about that Darwin Award winner, a former Air Force officer, who 'comandeered' a JATO rocket and strapped it onto his car out on a long stretch of road in Death Valley? His car actually took off before crashing into a cliff face 100ft up!
Last edited by :FI:Moog on Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:45 am

Forbidden link. :?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."