How stupid can a man be?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

How stupid can a man be?

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:02 pm

I volunteered for a mast-course... Sure, it sounded pretty cool when i first heard about it...

But the first climb to a 60 meter tall mast.... It was pure horror.... I can honestly say that i´ve never, ever been so scared than i was today, 60 meters above the ground...

We used the ladders inside the mast to get up... That went pretty well... But once on top of the mast, we had to move to the outerside of the mast... That´s when i thought of saying "ah, feck, that´s it for me, i´m going down!", but eventually i got the balls to do it...

It´s funny how human mind works... I knew that i could rely on my safety gear 100%, but still, this voice was screaming inside my head "Dont do it!! Are you totally insane??!!"

I´m so not going to recommend that stuff for anyone! :lol:

Here i am before the first climb, all geared up and arrogant: "That mast dont look so tall and scary.. Piece of cake!"

Working on the outerside...

"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Great stuff mate! But where's the picture of you crying like a baby? :-$ ^:)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm

But where's the picture of you crying like a baby?
It was not a pretty sight, so i left that one out ;)
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:38 pm

Whoa!

Eeeek!

Gag!

I have acrophobia ...

ever since me dear sweet mum hung me over the railing of the top of the Eifel Tower when I was three (Michael Jackson style) and said ...

"see Paris? Isn't it beeeeutiful?"

:shock:

You are the man of the month Sap!
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm glad you over came your fears and made it :D I'm glad it was you and not me ^:)

s!
Snoop
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Great pics…….. I knew you could do it. :D
Has anyone been in a high rise before the glass was put in, I have, there is safety stuff, usually 2x4’s, but it seems like those big holes in the wall just call out to you to take a look down
:shock:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:59 pm

How can a ex airline pilot be scared of heights? the mind boggles Falc :?
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

LOL...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:08 pm

you said it... EX-airline pilot... besides - all you need is instrument sin those things - the windows are just to let a bit of light in....

Nice one Sapp!

Rather you than me :)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:16 pm

In an airplane you are soaring through the ether,

touchin' the paw of dawg.

In a twenty-story bulding you are falling out of a window;

that simple

or complicated

or whatever!

Don' ax me, I flunked psychology!!!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:33 pm

Thx for the suport guys! ;)

Maybe tomorrow i´ll get some pictures from up there... I was supposed to take some pics today, but i was too busy holding tight from the mast, with my both hands :lol:
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:21 pm

yeah, it's different somehow being in a plane and being high up in a building.... i experience that also. not so much fear in a plane... especially if i have control or can get control... but in a super high rise skycrapper.....??? i'm scared witless to look down!

but that's a fairly recent thing. as a kid, i had NO fear of heights at all. go figure. now days, i can get a near panic attack LOOKING at a high picture on the television!

Beowolff

PS... salute for having the balls to do the climb!
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:04 pm

As kids we were immortal, we could fall out a tree and jump back onto our feet with at worst tiny cuts and bruises. If we actually kept still for more then a few seconds would probably have realised it.. "Ok lets climb that one next, the bigger one!"

As adults we learnt along the way we wern't immortal, we know if we fall out a tree we'll probably be hospitalised for several weeks, with months of physiotherapy then a life time of aches and twinges in said places waiting for that life changing hip operation.

Anway, not seen any kids climb a tree for a very long time. I've seem them drunk, stoned, shoplifting etc etc but no climbing trees.

NC
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Anway, not seen any kids climb a tree for a very long time. I've seem them drunk, stoned, shoplifting etc etc but no climbing trees.
Come to think of it , not seen a tree in a long time. Well not one worth climbing at least. Think the kids round here would more likely climb a radio mast too (to hook up a pirate radio station)

Joking aside , well done Sapper. My old man was in Royal Signals WWll. 1 day ahead of the front line, 1 day at the front line and one day behind. Well they had to have all the phones working before the advance.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:22 pm

:FI:Nightcat wrote:As kids we were immortal, we could fall out a tree and jump back onto our feet with at worst tiny cuts and bruises. If we actually kept still for more then a few seconds would probably have realised it.. "Ok lets climb that one next, the bigger one!"

As adults we learnt along the way we wern't immortal, we know if we fall out a tree we'll probably be hospitalised for several weeks, with months of physiotherapy then a life time of aches and twinges in said places waiting for that life changing hip operation.

NC
It's all this health and safety stuff.Your more likely to be injured/prosecuted climbing a tree than you are for being drunk/stoned/shoplifting/shifty looking...

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Menace
Postmaster

GAH!

Post by Menace » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:02 pm

I went up half that height to clean off the Fanbeam. (Dynamic Positioning System Sensor). The ship took a spanker on the stern and the shuddering had me moving a foot back and forth holding my eyeballs in. I was in a ladder cage and had all my safety gear on. Not a pleasant experience. I'd crap my pants if I had to go THAT high, land or no!

PS: that's 30m-25 over water. The steel deck was only about 10m below me with a giant tow winch underneath to twist my plummeting body into amusing human origami. *shudder*
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"