Did you know...

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Did you know...

Post by Skipper » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:49 pm

3% of people thought that the Battle of Trafalgar was fought in 1980 by John Major... :lol: :?

ALso 1 in 3 people Thought his ship was called "Discovery" as they mixed it up with the NASA shuttle ;)

People do seem to be getting stupider :? :oops:

Skipper :)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:54 pm

Skippy!

Yep, here is one of my favorite examples ...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... urvey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some excerpts:

In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

The young U.S. citizens received poor marks generally in geography. But then, as results showed, their counterparts in other countries were hardly star students.

The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.

Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.

The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Are Young U.S. Citizens Americentric?

Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

More young U.S. citizens in the study knew that the island featured in last season's TV show "Survivor" is in the South Pacific than could find Israel.

Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

"It gives the sense that there is this Americentric thing going on—that we are big and powerful and have all these people in our country," said John Fahey, President and CEO of the National Geographic Society.

On the other hand, Pastor suggests that the results could mean that most young Americans just have no idea of the total world population (about six billion).

On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

Of all the young adults in the survey, only about one-third in Germany, Sweden and Japan, could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons. In the rest of the countries that number dropped to less than a quarter. In France 24 percent did not know that that their own country was a nuclear nation.

In the highest-scoring countries—Sweden, Germany and Italy—at least 70 percent of the young adults had traveled internationally in the last three years, and the majority spoke more than one language (in Sweden, 92 and 89 percent, respectively).

In the U.S. and Mexico only about 20 percent had traveled abroad during the same period and the majority spoke only one language.

~~~

On the news last night a poll showed that fully 25% of Americans believe that Dawg is personally punishing us with hurricanes, etc. for our sinful ways.

gah!

Fal "I'll take Sweden" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:25 pm

Is this why you moved to sweden, fenian? ;)
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Yes.

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:25 pm

I came here to help sway the brain balance away from Germany, and it worked :D

:lol:

I think I should move to the States... they need a hand now....

Super Fen!

Akshully... I just followed my tail.... as usual.... ;)
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

W.H.O. is stoopid?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:28 pm

Nawt us Germermans ... 16 years the same chancellor (Primeminister)?

Naw, nawt us Germermans, Fen!

Where´s is Pisa? :-k
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Just pink and fluffy

Are you still

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:36 pm

waiting for that Pisa to arrive?

I'd ring them Frank....

You should get it for free if it's not delivered the same day.

:lol:
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Oh ...

on the national math test:

142% of high school students scored poorly in addition and subtraction and

519% of high school students failed the multiplication section.

however,

-8324% of that same group did very well in statistics and percentages!

On a previous note:

Norwegians were going to be in the National Geographic study but,

no one could find it on the map.

Phalkun

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Falcon refers to the 5th Grade as...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:08 am

...his "Senior Year". :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x