Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 pm

Dunno yet Tact, I've been reading a lot of articles on the game's hardware forums and practically every thread contains hefty pros and cons for every new card. It seems that the slightest variations between hardware configurations can cause massive performance hits, i.e. two people with ostensibly the same specs, one claiming the game runs perfectly at max settings and the other saying "OMFG BETHESDA DIE CHEAP ASS PRODUCT WASTED $500 ON NEW VIDEO CARD GRRR"

So, I'm gonna weigh things up before (if!) I do the upgrade... this 9800 Pro of mine has been the best value for money I've ever seen on a computer peripheral and it still runs my other games sweet as a nut (even sweeter now that I've switched from 1600x1200 to 1024x768 - something I should have done a long time ago). After tweaking the .ini file I have the game running really well and looking great, so maybe I'll hang on to my system a while longer. Or just get another Gb of RAM or something.

BTW if any of you guys are interested in tweaking the game, check out the following post:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 612&st=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I've sifted through so far, it's the most no-nonsense and plainly useful post yet. Hugely beneficial to me but even high-end users are praising some of the tweaks. Happy hunting...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:33 pm

PS... the post to which I'm referring is by Raguel, it's the second post down on that page...

...and if you ARE gonna tweak your oblivion.ini, be sure to:

1) Edit the copy in your MyDocuments\MyGames\Oblivion folder, backing up your original beforehand. The copy in the main game folder is only used as a default.

2) Start the game by pointing the shortcut to oblivion.exe and not oblivionlauncher.exe
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:03 pm

Endless, frustrating tweaking. I remember it well. TacticalS! turns on console, places DVD in tray, hits close, and plays the game. :D

---

My experience, based on a nice ATI 9700 (128 MB) card and my new BFG 6800 OC (256 MB) card, is that both brands are good. nVIDIA seems to have many games optimized for it. Plus I find their game tweaking profile system a lot better. It provides great performance overall.

Now, the caution is that if one is going beyond 2xAA then I find the ATI card performs better (i.e., takes less of a hit on fps when using medium or high AA). If you are like me all my gaming is done at 1024x768 so AA is a relevant consideration.

FYI IL-2, Rome: Total War, and BF2 (plus a host of other popular titles) were all developed with nVIDIA in mind. One would expect less hassle and better performance. One would anyway. ;)

Happy card hunting mate!

TS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:45 pm

:FI:Moog wrote:PS... the post to which I'm referring is by Raguel, it's the second post down on that page...

...and if you ARE gonna tweak your oblivion.ini, be sure to:

1) Edit the copy in your MyDocuments\MyGames\Oblivion folder, backing up your original beforehand. The copy in the main game folder is only used as a default.

2) Start the game by pointing the shortcut to oblivion.exe and not oblivionlauncher.exe
For those with the PC version, this guy http://www.tweakguides.com/ always does a good job with tweaking. It sounds like the Oblivion Tweak Guide will soon be ready.

Enjoy!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Moog commented...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:52 am

I've seen a few Seymour Butts movies but I ain't never seen him get a .38 shoved in his face. Although now that I think about it, I think I did once see him point a heavy-calibre weapon in some hitchiker chick's face... Shock Bad Grin

I was referring to the original DOS "Adventures of Seymour Butts".

Hilarious!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Forum Junky

Re: Moog commented...

Post by :FI:Moog » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:37 pm

:FI:Heloego wrote:I was referring to the original DOS "Adventures of Seymour Butts".
Ah right, sorry for the confusion - I was more of a Leisure Suit Larry man myself ;)

Larry in the Land of Tamriel... now there's a mod I'd download! :lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:55 pm

I just wanted to say one thing.

This game is Evil

coz it is so addictive

BTW

it is so good, that my neighbour , who owns a Radeon 9000 with 128 MB of RAM, got the game and runs it. In a window, 640x480, with all sorts of crazy tweaks ,which he found at the official forums, on, game looks like almost like dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder, water is purple (purple haze oout in my brain), but he plays it.

It is addictive.

As I have whole lota of university stuff to do I am playing the game late at nihght or midday -hallf an hour in the morning, half an hour here, there and so ob.

This shoould be forbidden!!!!!!

This is lkie skooma.......

Gah!!!

And the mods that ppl create....fantastic. and this is just the beginning.

As for the performance - yep, Xbox360 doesn't have this various-rigs-performance-differences-issue, but still - you have no construction set ant that is the only weak point here.

Hope you like it, Tacts.

If so, after finishing Oblivion get a copy of Morrowind

I find ia bit darker and scary:)

Though when I entered Oblivion I was all sweating coz of fear.....

gah!!!!

Shut up Macca and try to get some sleep!!!!!

M

I think in Morrowind there was a mod.....Suran had a paid-love-house-for-troubled-travellers:)

sweeet

(cough)
ImageImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 am

Skooma?

skooma.

SKOOMA!!!!!

Skoooooooo-maah ...

~~~

hey look!

I have a horsey!

<blink-blink>

I think it's a horse.

F

PS: Oh, and that arrow in my shield?

It was so cool.

I saw it comin' and I raised the shield and ~felt~ the arrow hit.

The spot is right, the trajectory is right.

Cooool.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:47 am

Poor Macca. :( He WAS a very good student. ;) Seriously addictive, eh mate? Nothing has grabbed me like this since RTW. She's a bad one for sure.

Falcon you have an arrow in you sir! :shock: Rest up there mate.

Helped Matthew find the unicorn. Cool ride. However, whenever attacked it seems to turn on the poor little lad. :lol: After the enemy is gone she settles down. I suggested it must be modelled after someone's wife. ;) Might pick her up or wait until I do the actual quest (maybe she will be more tame that way).

Can't sleep (in the game) because a vampire is bound and determine to inflict me. Help! :D

TS!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Macca said...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:06 am

I think in Morrowind there was a mod.....Suran had a paid-love-house-for-troubled-travellers:)
Yep, a titty bar!

But the owner/head dancer is a real bitch! :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:40 am

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Poor Macca. :( He WAS a very good student. ;) Seriously addictive, eh mate? Nothing has grabbed me like this since RTW. She's a bad one for sure.
Why to use past tense:)?I still am,sir:)

If I comited all my time to Oblivion I would have to repeat semester:)

I'm lvl 4 Mage, I know, I know, not very far, but hey...As in real life I will have to try to get to the University in the Imperial City:)

Titty bar;)
8)

let's wait for some decent plugins for Oblivion, it will be a blast. I want Imperial Bank mod:)

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Bauer
Baby Boardie

Post by Bauer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:12 pm

So I broke down (took a whole 24 hours?) and ordered a copy.

But here's the important question...

are barfights modeled?
:badgrin:
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:53 pm

Bauer wrote:So I broke down (took a whole 24 hours?) and ordered a copy.
Ok but you can't say I didn't warn you mate. ;)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 pm

I really want this game so bad! :roll:

Unfortunately my processor is only 1.33 so I think it would die if I tried to play this on it :(

Just 9 more months and i'll be at the cutting edge again ;)

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:22 pm

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today, especially if you have credit. ;)