What's Some of Your Favourite WW-2 Movies?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Right, here's a few more we came with today at lunchtime. In no particular order: Dark Blue World. The Battle of the Bulge. Enemy Below, Destination Tokyo, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Run Silent Run Deep, In Which We Serve, Thin Red Line, Spitfire,First of th Few. Stratigic Air Command. Command Decision. There were more. And some of them have been repeated by others, but it was an interesting excercise, trying to think back and not just google war movies. There are a couple for the life of me I can't remember the titles of. One is about the HMS Amythist, I think Richard Todd is in it. That was good. And another about the Graf Spee in Montivideo, I can't pull that out of the memory banks either. Spitfire I think is especially good Leslie Howard as RJ Mitchel. Dark Blue World is very good. They used some of Bob footage and recut some of the archival stuff not in the Bob release.
Anyway that was fun. I was stunned to see that I could remember anything but once I started to think about them it was like a defrag. They all had their own titles again, and weren't just The War Movie File. Interesting sensation blowing all that old dust around. It was a little like opening the courtains in a dim room. Thansk again Noter.

McBiggles

McBiggles
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 pm

McBiggles wrote:And another about the Graf Spee in Montivideo, I can't pull that out of the memory banks either.
Battle of the River Plate??
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:25 pm

Cheers mate! I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being a good war film. Thanks a million Moog.

McBiggles
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 am

For us American kids the TV series COMBAT
With Vic Morrow :?: I think, was screened in the UK as well 8)
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:01 am

I don't know, but it would seem to me that all YOU guys are war-crazy or something. Hasn't anyone watched Gone with the Wind or A Love Story. Where's your sensitive side? Did you at least cry when Bambi or Lassie died? Or did you just ponder how a MP-40 would have been a faster method of death.

I'm with Falcon - up the Newhart movies! :D
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:19 am

Oh my God, Lassie died, :cry: :?: . When did that happen (welling up)...how...trouble typing (wiping away tears). (Sobbing) Not Lassie.

Noter

Actually McB, you need to thank TactS, he started the movie thread.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:04 am

Sorry about that Tacts' Old Man. I'm a little preoccupied lately. Still no excuse. Thank you, for what for me was not just coming up with the titles. I thought about the friends I'd watched them with, a whole load of stuff I'd not thougt about for an awfully long time. Thank you.

McBiggles
W.B. Yeats
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:02 pm

Just send me money whenever you feel compelled to thank me for something. :D
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:16 pm

The hunt for the red october,
mainly watched it because Sean Connery played in it. big time fav ever since.

saving private ryan

band of brothers (not a film, but the best ww2 series ever - have it on dvd)

tora tora tora

the longest day

Although patton isn't a great movie, it shows the insanity of patton and the idiocy between him and mongomery - striving to be the first at all costs. you see this sort of 'competition' among highly ranked officers/generals/whatevers throughout the war.

gi jane
because i love demi moore, wish i had avoice like that and she kicks ass in the movie. gotta love strong females. i don't think women will ever actually be able to become a seal, but it wouldn't surprise me if there would be an alternative for them in the not so distant future, at the same point where women actually can take point in the frontline.
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:15 pm

Schindler's List
Europa, Europa
Empire of the Sun
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:29 pm

Noter...pull yourself together. It was along time ago, but I know how you feel. I wasn't the same for ages after The Bambi Killng. That bastard Godzilla. Never forgiven him. And Lassie...demanding little bitch I heard. Must dash. Toodles.... Noter...you did know we'd lost Bambi too didn't you?...Sorry Old Boy...someone should've told you. Oh well, Cheerio.

McBiggles
W.B. Yeats
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:43 pm

I just finished watching South korean war movie "Brotherhood of war -taegukgi". It´s pretty new, it was made last year, and it ´s about the korean war.

It was awesome... it´s not just a warmovie... it´s a tragedy... I rarely get emotional about movies, but this one left me speachless.. Thinking about of how grazy we humans can be...

It´s definetly a movie worth watching...
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:59 pm

HELL is for HEROES, loved Bob Newhart's part. Steve McQueen was GREAT at anything and everything he did from the GREAT ESCAPE to TOM HORN.
Coburn and Fess Parker are some more of my favorite actor types.

BIG RED ONE,
ENEMY AT THE GATE

and on a WWI sort of theme
THE WILD BUNCH!!! :badgrin:

On the Viet Nam theme,
CHARLIE MoPIC
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:33 am

- Gettysburg (now that´s a looooong movie)

- The longest day
- A bridge too far
- Stalingrad
- Band of brothers (the series)
- Talvisota - The winter war
- Battle of britain

- Platoon
- Hamburger hill
- Flight of the intruider
- Full metal jacket (i just love that gunnery sergeant Hartmann :lol: )
- Green berets

- Blackhawk down

BTW, did you know that the character John Wayne plays in "Green berets" is actually based on this Finnish guy...
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."