it's quiz time again!!!! :)))

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:43 am

Ok 57 was a good year I go for that,,, what do I win? :wink2:
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:43 am

you're almost there.
very very very very close. :shock:
can't believe you still missed it tho :p
"Play your guitar on the MTV. That ain't working, that's the way you do it. Get your money for nothing and your chicks for free"
Mark Knopfler
Now that guy knows how to live a good life 8)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Another stab...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:59 am

What about 58?
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:04 am

and we have a winner :D

it's indeed 1958. which i personally think is pretty amazing considering for a fighter that around '44 was outclassed by most axis fighters.

here's your price: :beer:
"Play your guitar on the MTV. That ain't working, that's the way you do it. Get your money for nothing and your chicks for free"
Mark Knopfler
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:34 pm

Oh well I s'pose I 'll have to buy me own then :lol: :D :beer:

That is amazing!

Makes me wonder how much WW2 stuff is out there even today. Two possibles I can think of are the Dakota,, probable although am no expert. Maybe the Russian T34/85 tank?

Actually thinking about it there is probably loads. Browning .50? Was the AK 47 in the war,,, erm, hard one that something in the name tells me it might not have been :?

:yumyum: :sheep: :beer:
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:31 pm

Way to go Ianus! So, what country/air force used the beloved P-40 up until 1958? I don't think Botswana even has/had and airforce, btw, LOL!

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:54 pm

i don't know what air force used the P-40 up to '58 but these are the air forces that used the P-40
Air Forces that used the P-40 were:

Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
Egypt
France
Dutch East Indies
New Zealand
Turkey
UK
USA
USSR
Mark Knopfler
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:11 pm

Hmmm, well, if you don't know what air force used the P-40 until 1958, then how do you know it was used until 1958, hmmmmm? :-k

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:59 pm

because i have a big hugh database with information about pretty much every aircraft that has seen some form of active duty between '39 and '45(which is well over a 1000 planes on 2 cd-roms from discovery wings and maris multimedia) and with the P-40 it says: taken out of duty: 1958. but it doesn't say in what country that is.
Mark Knopfler
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:45 pm

Okay, gees, you sure got me curious now, though, LOL.

Z

:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:24 pm

trainers? :?
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:04 pm

yes spits the trainers are also in the database, as well as helicopters and many others
Mark Knopfler
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:48 am

well, i would have to think some South American country. they did use Mustangs and Corsairs for a very long time... in fact, some Corsairs survived in service with some SA countries up until the mid to late 60's...

not a big stretch to imagine them also using P-40s.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buster82
Professional Boardie

Post by Buster82 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:30 am

Beo good lad you're wrong.
the corsair didn't last 'till the late 60's
it lasted all the way to '77 8)
which, even tho it's a great plane, i think is still pretty impressive. :)
Mark Knopfler
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:56 am

what? :shock: wrong?

how can that be? i have it on good authority that i was only wrong once...and really right then.

actually i was referring to a guy i once knew that did indeed help ferry some Corsairs up from South America in the late sixties... don't remember the exact date now or the country he brought them up from.... i also can't remember if the government in question actually sold them to some private corporation or fatcat individual, or if they were returned to the US government's books and THEY hired the guy i'm talking about to help ferry them back home.

someone in another forum once swore (he lived in SA at the time) that there are STILL some Corsairs down there... flyable, and in private hands, and also as rusting hulks sitting in aircraft dumps, abandoned hangers and closed military installations. who knows, but i wouldn't doubt it.

reminds me of a guy that goes to our local VFW... he served on an island base in the Pacific... at the end of the war, he has told me that he witnessed dozens of mother-beautiful, BRAND SPANKING NEW, Black Widow night fighters pushed into a huge hole in the sand by a bulldozer and then had AV fuel poured on top and set ablaze. after the big burn, sand was then shoved right atop the wrecks. and all because the government didn't want to pay for the fuel to ferry the planes BACK to the US. graaaaaa!

twas a sin!

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;