Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:05 am

!!!

You've stolen from Lucien Lachance?!?

You better get that "sneaking" up to 100.

and find a squirrel hole somewhere!

F

ps: any character pics folk?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:36 am

I'm playing a honest Imperial on a quest to save the kingdom. No prison time or stealing. However, some pirates attacked me and now I have possession of their ship at the Imperial City's docks. Nice place. 8)

TS!
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:22 pm

How would I go about taking pics?

NC
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:24 pm

Head to where you installed Oblivion on your hard-drive (by default its My Computer/Local Disk C/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion) and find the file 'Oblivion_default.ini'.

Open it and search for the line:

bAllowScreenShot=0.

Change the "0" to a "1" and you can now take screenshots via the Print Screen/PrtScn button.

Then go to My Documents\My Games\Oblivion and do the same in the 'Oblivion.ini' file.

Then, press PrintScreen while in the game to take a screenshot. These screenshots will be saved as .bmp files to C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion.

There is also some talk about making sure anti-aliasing is turned off. I think mine is on and it still works but others have found it has solved their troubles.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Angel the Dark Elf, level 9 - originally named I know...

A picture of who I've been playing with as of late... still not found the sheep.

Bauer
Baby Boardie

(Shields eyes)

Post by Bauer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:38 am

That toon of yours should spend less time in Oblivion and more time in the sun 8)

I just got to the end of the thieve's guild quest line, and I don't want to post any spoilers, but my ability to wreak havoc on the townspeople of Cyrodil has increased ten-fold

Post Maniac General

Lost My Fighting Ability

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Well guys maybe you can shed some light. Against Falcon's suggestion I have been mostly concentrating on the main quest - Reinforcements for Burma. Closed a bunch of gates and increased to Level 10-11 with my Imperial Warrior. I primarily use the blade and shield with magical range attack. Things were going well with minimal trouble.

OK now I think I'm in the last 1-2 gates of the quest and the AI have been really (really) tough to kill. It seems that I have become handicapped in that even when the enemy isn't attacking me I suffer a loss in my own health when a blow hits
its mark. :-k

My son keeps pressuring me to lower the difficulty setting (I only play the game at Normal). But I think the real answer lies in working on side quests. However, will this really help? I mean if I return to this gate at a higher level won't the AI just be tougher? Or perhaps they will cap out at say level 12 or something. So if I return at level 15 all will be well.

Any insight Falcon/guys?

Tact - "they can beat me like a little girl now" - S!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:08 pm

It won't help. TactS. The enemies are always tougher than player's character, always higher level ,at least those most of them. However, even though they are on higher level than you are, their distribution of skills/points is different, I presume. The game wouldn't be that interesting if you caould beat everyone with your finger.

I could be wrong, of course, but this is what I read somewhere at the official forums.

S!

Mac
ImageImageImage
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Well, Tac, you can always dl one of the dozen or so "leveling" mod ...

oh, nevermind.

There are some creatures who have caps to their levels, but the critters inside the gates ain't some of them. Some may have a level around [40] or so. So, it won't get much easier. Your wee avatar will have better items and better skills (to your way of playing) than the bad guys though if you come back later. You'll have more endurance to best survive running away too.

Are you finished with "Allies for Bruma?", then the end is near; a very tough, fast-paced end.

Hey NC! You're a chick! Well that's okay and I'm surprised no one here has ribbed you yet. I don't play chicks any more cuz my daughter and wiff tease me too much when they pass by.

"Hey dad!? How they hangin'. Nice outfit ... can I borrow it tonite?"

Gah!

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:52 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Well, Tac, you can always dl one of the dozen or so "leveling" mod ...

oh, nevermind.

There are some creatures who have caps to their levels, but the critters inside the gates ain't some of them. Some may have a level around [40] or so. So, it won't get much easier. Your wee avatar will have better items and better skills (to your way of playing) than the bad guys though if you come back later. You'll have more endurance to best survive running away too.

Are you finished with "Allies for Bruma?", then the end is near; a very tough, fast-paced end.

Hey NC! You're a chick! Well that's okay and I'm surprised no one here has ribbed you yet. I don't play chicks any more cuz my daughter and wiff tease me too much when they paass by.

"Hey dad!? How they hangin'. Nice outfit ... can I borrow it tonite?"

Gah!

F
I was going to tease him too but feared it was some silly male Elf again.

Thanks for the tips (except those unofficial mods [-( ). BTW Falcon what level do you play - Easy, Normal or Hard? Guess it might be time to hang out with the Fighters' Guild or fight in the Arena for a bit. Get all mean and bad. :badgrin:

TS!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:17 pm

... but feared it was some silly male Elf again.
:lol:

At the beginning I played at a difficulty of about 30% on the slider. Once I got comfortable with the controls and design I moved it up to ~40% and then 50%.

The first time I played the last main quest episode I turned it down to ZERO! It helped a little, but what I needed was some planning and brain stuff, not scaling. Yeah, it took a while. I barely survived back up around 40% and I'm now set around 65-ish.

Sully is a level 40 now. Ooooo! He still needs to be careful though. I haven't applied any of those big leveling mods. I do have a few mods that make the bandits and other average folk less well armed and I use a mod that varries the level of creature that may appear in a particular area. (easy skeletons to a pack of Uber-Mega-Death Rogs when you least expect it)

Oh ... and Tac? I'm debating whether or not to show you one of the ship/pirate ship mods. I fear it may just ... hurt ... too much.

<runs>

Falcon

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Please do show it mate. I would love to see these things. Despite my enjoyment of this game (and Ghost Recon which I recently finished - awesome game!), I am fully aware of the benefits the PC has in terms of gaming. Heck I'm a PC gamer too.

TS!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Ho-kay, you axed for it ...

your own ship!

Pirate ship mod:

located on a wee island to the ESE of the Imperial City,

- moves at half and full sail

- turns to your heading

- anchor

- quarters/storage below including captain's cabin

- penguin's nest

- ship's boat launches to port and fully functional

- collision detection

- other stuff.

~~~

ah, what a life ...

uh oh ... a bridge

penguin's nest

~~~

still a beta

- initially (in 3rd person) and at rare times you fall through the deck and end up sittin' on the lake bed*

- tops of masts go through bridge.

Arrrr!

Capt. Long'nuff John Falcon

* Hey! That would be a fun quest, chasing after your ship!

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Another mod ...

Lunch!

:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:12 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Ho-kay, your own ship! Pirate ship
me thinks we lost old Falcon............... yo ho a pirates life is for me

ahhhhhhhhh the heck with this reply quote :?
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”