Beowolff's informal review (with pics & guncam)

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:18 pm

Excellent, Nellip! excellent and descriptive first mission!

this sim does create imaginative feelings and moods just as you describe, doesn't it? something woefully lacking in most other sims, including the great IL2. the air, the scenery, the planes (and most of all for me---the sounds of dogs barking, men working, soldiers marching, engines turning, birds singing..etc..etc) really work well together to create mood and atmosphere...to put you, OVER THERE!

it takes only a smallish amount of imagination to think yourself near the front and ready to go into mortal combat against the savage Hun!

and of course the flying!

this mod deserves to go commercial.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:06 pm

I ahve to say i'm really enjoying it so far.Especially the "claim feature" which in my view MUST be added into the next Il2 just to add a bit of excitement (or disgust) ;) as you howl as your 5 claims is knocked down to 1.

I'm just curious....do you ever get to:

a)Fight with an ace...

b)Get challenged by an ace...

I assume you can't actually send a challenge but the mod is so immersive so far why not!

Skipper :)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Awright damnit...I'm biting', gonna go see if I can pick it up today. Downloading patches as I type...and I've got the correct sequence written down.

Noter
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Oh and just another quick question...

is anyone having trouble getting the noseart and slected letters to appear on their plane?

Do you have to become an ace to get to paint these on?

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:39 pm

hmmm, i haven't even tried that yet, skipper. i'll try to get around to it.

by the way, for you guys of historical WW1 interest, here's a neat little link to some smallish info and pics of WW1 planes:

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beowolff

PS, here's a nice little interesting link for you guys that like the spiffy French Nieuport models, complete with pics and color charts:

http://mars.ark.com/~mdf/Nieuport_id.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For any Aussie chaps or fellows interested in them, here is a link to Number 3 RAAF Squadron, with info about the squadron from WW1 thru modern days... very interesting, lots of pics and great info.

http://www.3squadron.org.au/history.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Beowolff on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:51 pm

here's another nice little WW1 aircraft link:

http://www.wwiaviation.com/toc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beowolff

PS, by going to the above site's pilots section and viewing the American aces, i am amazed by the bravery and daring do of these men,,,,many of them totally UNKNOWN before. great dog, but so many fine men that fought savagely in the air and yet their names are virtually unknown to Americans or America's history books. and many with LARGE numbers of kills and having done amazing exploits and feats of unmatched bravery in the face of the enemy.

take the aces with 12 or better enemy planes downed. WW2 or since aces with that many downed enemy planes would have been national heroes and their names upon everyone's lips. but NOT these guys?

:cry:

here's the link: http://www.wwiaviation.com/aces/aces_american.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basically the same for the other nationalities as well.

???

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm

here's an accident/safety report for WW1 Royal Flying Corps.

very amusing... and very telling of trials and tribulations of the fledgling
air service.

Beowolff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another good month. In all, a total of 35 accidents were reported, only six of which were avoidable. These represented a marked improvement over the month of November during which 84 accidents occurred, of which 23 were avoidable. This improvement, no doubt, is the result of experienced pilots with over 100 hours in the air forming the backbone of all the units.

RESUME OF ACCIDENTS

1. Avoidable accidents this last month:

a. The pilot of a Shorthorn, with over 7 hours of experience, seriously damaged the undercarriage on landing.He had failed to land at as fast a speed as possible as recommended in the Aviation Pocket Handbook.

b. A B.E.2 stalled and crashed during an artillery exercise. The pilot had been struck on the head by the semaphore of his observer who was signalling to the gunners.

c. Another pilot in a B.E.2 failed to get airborne. By an error of judgement, he was attempting to fly at mid-day instead of at the recommended best lift periods, which are just after dawn and just before sunset.

d. A Longhorn pilot lost control and crashed in a bog near Chipping-Sodbury. An error of skill on the part of the pilot in not being able to control a machine with a wide speed band of 10 MPH between top speed and stalling speed.

e. While low flying in a Shorthorn the pilot crashed into the top deck of a horse drawn bus near Stonehenge.

f. A B.E.2 pilot was seen to be attempting a banked turn at a constant height before he crashed. A grave error by an experienced pilot.

2. There were 29 unavoidable accidents from which the following are selected:

a. The top wing of a Camel fell off due to fatigue failure of the flying wires. A successful emergency landing was carried out.

b. Sixteen B.E.2s and 9 Shorthorns had complete engine failures. A marked improvement over November's fatigue.

c. Pigeons destroyed a Camel and 2 Longhorns after mid-air strikes.

COST OF ACCIDENTS Accidents during the last three months of 1917 cost £317 10 shillings and sixpence, money down the drain and sufficient to buy new gaiters and spurs for each and every pilot and observer in the Service.

ACCIDENT BRIEFS

No.1 Brief:
No. 912 Squadron, 3 December 1917, Aircraft type B.E. 2C, No. XY 678, Total solo - 4.0

Pilot Lt. J. Smyth-Worthington, Solo in type -- 1.10. The pilot of this flying machine attempted to maintain his altitude in a turn at 2,500 feet. This resulted in the aeroplane entering an unprecedented manoeuvre, entailing a considerable loss of height. Even with full power applied and the control column fully back, the pilot was unable to regain control. However, upon climbing from the cockpit onto the lower mainplane, the pilot managed to correct the machines altitude, and by skilful manipulation of the flying wires successfully side-slipped into a nearby meadow. Remarks: Although through inexperience this pilot allowed his aeroplane to enter an unusual attitude, his resourcefulness in eventually landing without damage has earned him a unit citation.

No. 2 Brief:
No. 847 Squadron, 19 December 1917, Aircraft type Spotter

Balloon J17983, Total solo 107.00. Pilot Capt. D. Lavendar, Solo in type 32.10.

Captain Lavendar of the Hussars, a balloon observer, unfortunately allowed the spike of his full-dress helmet to impinge against the envelope of his balloon. There was a violent explosion and the balloon carried out a series of fantastic and uncontrollable manoeuvres, whilst rapidly emptying itself of gas. The pilot was thrown clear and escaped injury as he was lucky enough to land on his helmet. Remarks: This pilot was flying in full-dress uniform because he was the Officer of the Day. In consequence it has been recommended that pilots will not fly during periods of duty as Officer of the Day.

Captain Lavendar has subsequently requested an exchange posting to the Patroville Alps, a well known mule unit of the Basques.

No. 3 Brief:
Summary of No. 43 Brief, dated October 1917.

Major W. deKitkag-Watney's Nieuport Scout was extensively damaged when it failed to become airborne. The original Court of Inquiry found that the primary cause of the accident was carelessness and poor airmanship on the part of a very experienced pilot. The Commandant General, however, not being wholly convinced that Major de Kitkag-Watney could be guilty of so culpable a mistake ordered that the Court should be re-convened. After extensive inquiries and lengthy discussions with the Meteorological Officer and Astronomer Royal, the Court came to the conclusion that the pilot unfortunately was authorized to fly his aircraft on a day when there was absolutely no lift in the air and

therefore could not be held responsible for the accident. The Court wishes to take this opportunity to extend its congratulations to Major de Kitkag-Watney on his reprieve and also on his engagement to the Commandant General's daughter, which was announced shortly before the accident.

FLYING SAFETY TIPS

Horizontal turns. To take a turn the pilot should always remember to sit upright, otherwise he will increase the banking of the aeroplane. He should NEVER lean over.

Crash precautions: Every pilot should understand the serious consequences of trying to turn with the engine off. It is much safer to crash into a house when going forward than to sideslip or stall a machine with engine troubles.

Passengers should always use safety belts, as the pilot may start stunting without warning. Never release the belt while in the air, or when nosed down to land.

Engine noises. Upon the detection of a knock, grind, rattle or squeak, the engine should be at once stopped. Knocking or grinding accompanied by a squeak indicates binding and a lack of lubricant.

WATCH THAT FIRST STEP The First Marine Air Wing had this write up in their Safety publication Wing Tips: It was conceded by all that the pilot had accomplished a brilliant piece of work in landing his disabled machine without damage under the circumstances. It is not with intent to reflect less credit upon his airmanship, but it must be noted that he is a well experienced aviator with over 40 total hours in the air, embracing a wide variety of machines, and this was his seventh forced landing due to complete failure of the engine. It was doubly unfortunate that upon alighting from his machine he missed the catwalk on the lower airfoil and plunged both legs through the fabric, straddling a rib, from which he received a grievous personal injury.

Some thought should be devoted to a means of identifying wing-traversing catwalks to assist aviators in disembarking from their various machines."
Beowolff's Lair
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:56 pm

action report:

dropped into a swirling online dogfight last night against some of the 60 squadron boys flying DR1s. let me say this... beware the DR1! :(

the 60 squadron boyo's are tough enough as it is...being one of the first (if not the first) OFF squadron to form and having ooddles of experience online. sprinkle in the fact that they were flying the dreaded DR1 and it was TOUGH!

lol!

started off trying to face 'em in my trusty Se5 and got my arse handed to me on a platter. switched to a Camel and the same thing... sizzle, sizzle, swonk! a flaming mess smashing into the cold earth!

only when i picked up a Sopwith Tripe could i hold my own and from that point on, gave as good as i got, picking up kills fairly frequently. the Tripe can handle the DR1, but only with careful use and by using good judgement. you have to get in quick, pickout your target, zoom up to and latch onto him and damage him BEFORE getting into a swirling death dance with him. at that point (with him having a spot of damage) you can out-best him and keep pouring in the Vickers slugs until he goes in or bursts into flame.

but if you miss him on that first shot...and attempt to pure dogfight him in a turn and burn fight...eventually, you WILL lose. even in the nimble Tripe. the Fokker DR1 is just too damned good to mess around with. especially in the hands of experienced combat pilots...as it was in real life.

the DR1 seems a bit stronger and is slightly more manueverable... so maxed out in a turn fight, he will hold togeter longer and keep cutting inside of you slightly... until he finally gets a shot into you (which cuts down on your control) or until your own Tripe's wings begin to overstress and fold. and then its over. sizzle, sizzle, swonk!

great fun though... and good experience. i did a fair job i think, and ended the night with several kills.

S!

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey Beowolff - where are you flying online with OFF?

Tempted to try it.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Just picked up CFS3, will try and install tonight. I have all the downloads already, so I will be joining the fun shortly :)

Noter
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Good deal, Noter! seem's like we've about got enough of us now to actually get online with. you'll most likely need a day or two to get familiar with the program and get all of the wrinkles ironed out of your install... but after that, you should be good to go.

let's all try to get something going by the end of the week sometime for sure.

i'm on Central USA time... don't know everyone else's time frames. but almost anytime my PM i can help host... i'm new to DSL, but my new DSL connectin should be okay to hold some matches.... anyone with anything stronger is welcome to also lend a hand as a host. now here's the ticket on hosting... CFS3, which is the guts of OFF, actually imagines that everyone is using a dialup... so even if you change your connection settings in OFF to DSL or cable type speeds, it will only give you a box allowing 4 or 8 players. (and no matter what connection speed you pick, it at present, OFF won't remember it and you have to reset it before every NEW episode of net gaming.) so anyway, to get the net connection to allow more than the 4 or 8 people in a game, the host has to set his connection in multiplayer for T-1 and fool CFS/OFF into thinking that's the speed----and after that it will allow up to (max) 16 players at a time.

special note*

as to where do we tangle in multiplayer with OFF?? well, though you can connect through a net address... the easiest way is merely inside OFF/CFS's multiplayer menu. once you click on multiplayer through the arming screen, it opens the multiplayer screen where you log on to Microsoft's connecting server (sort of like the old MS Zone) and from there you can see any CFS3 or OFF games being hosted by others.

you merely pick one of the available games, click on it, and click join to get in.

once you start to load up, you'll see what needs to be done to continue joining and playing.

the usual OFF game going is by the 60 squadron chaps... sometimes Firebird II is hosting, sometimes O-1 Driver, sometimes Buckner. these guys are tops and usually won't mind anyone with manners joining their games. they run a lot of team missions (coops) and usually afterward, run a swirling dogfight server. great fun.

by the way, remember if the listed games do not say, OFF in their titles, you won't be able to join them in multiplayer...the multiplayer matchup service shows both CFS3 and OFF and if it's a CFS3 game it won't naturally let you join if your launching from inside of OFF. or vice versa.

i'm trying to finish us (the Irish) some multiplayer coops and hope to have them ready and de-bugged in a day or so.... so i can host some specially made for us.

good flying all.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:30 am

I have not been able to find a cheap copy of CFS3 locally- EB Games is the last outlet selling used PC games, and they are phaseing out thier PC games as we speak.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:08 am

:FI:Murph wrote:I have not been able to find a cheap copy of CFS3 locally- EB Games is the last outlet selling used PC games, and they are phaseing out thier PC games as we speak.
Murph, if you can't find it local, try Amazon.

i saw some "new" and used copies here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 56-3956850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for about 19 or 20 bucks. not exactly bargin bin, but cheaper than full retail.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:25 am

No cheap ones around here, our EB's have already phased out all PC stuff, strickly console (aarrgghh, the dumbing of America, but it's ok for you Canadian chaps ;) ). It has become very difficult to find on shelves anymore. I picked up the last copy from Microcenter.

Noter
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:34 am

well, as true to life, i suppose... no good reports tonight from my multiplayer mission courtesy of the 60 squadron boys... flew Sopwith Camels on deep patrol to try and stop some Hannover artillery spotters... jeesh! those pesky Hannovers are TOUGH! and have ACE rear gunners!

flew wingie for a chap named Hossenberry... we jumped a couple of Hannover two seaters and Hoss nailed his right off. i flew into gun range of mine and started pinging him...and that darned rear gunner shot the *&!*&!*#@ out of me! the Hun bastid!

died and was reborn anew in another Camel... latched onto Buckner's wing and flew back acorss no man's land and got damaged with HEAVY flak... got seperated from Buckner, stumbled upon yet another errant Hannover... but was too shot up from the Archie to nail him. as i was flying Chinese... aka WON WING LO, i finally had to let the Hun go and head back across no man's land to land.

not a good night... sigh... but i guess they can't always be glorious, eh?

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair