Green Pilot looking to test his mettle

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Opie-won
Beginner

Green Pilot looking to test his mettle

Post by Opie-won » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:48 am

Hello All!

Am loooking to fly for the first time online and I am having difficulty with a couple of things.

1.) I have no idea in where to go to fly on the net. Could someone assist, or at least point me in the right direction?

2.) what is a common communication program that is easy to use/install? I am very stoopid when it comes to computer stuff.

3.) My OS is Windows 98 and I think that I have the most current versions of Il-2 and PF, but they are stand-alone as I do not have the expansion packs yet. Will this make a difference?

4.) I have never flown as part of a squadron, will this be an issue, and are pilots available to assist in Training and formation flying?

5.) Are the set times in flying, and do I have to belong to a squadron to fly? My work schedule involves long hours and they tend to move around and I have a bit of a commute that can get really long in the winter months.

I thank you all for your help in advance, and look forward to any responses that happen to come this way.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:16 am

Hi Mate,

Welcome to our wee lil doomp.

Most folks flying ONLINE are flying the "merged" 4.02 version.

THose of us here use HYPERLOBBY almost exclusively to join in on online missions. http://hyperfighter.sk/

Most of us use TEAMSPEAK for voice coms.
http://www.goteamspeak.com/

There is training available and everybody here will be glad to assist you in learning the ropes. (we're always looking for new planes/people to shoot down) ;) I can show you how to make big smoking holes on the ground very easily. I'm good at it. :lol:

The :FI: is a multinational bunch of misfits. We try to get together on Sunday afternoons ( stateside) Wed nights ( stateside ) and the Euro contingent used to gather on Fridays pretty regular as well. I think..

Never having flown with a squadron is more than likely a plus with us. Even when we're flying as squadron we rarely look like it.. :shock: :lol:

As far as computers? We've got some gurus here and some rank (smelling) neophytes like myself. Help is available on a variety of subjects. Just ask UNKLE Fenster.

The :FI: are a fun bunch. THAT is our main mission. ( besides drinkin and breaking wind etc etc.. :oops: )

IF you think you'd like to hang with such of our nefarious ilk, send an Email to the gent listed in the SO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE FIGHTING IRISH. Remember to follow HErr Falkkons instructions to the letter, develop a healthy respect for wainscotting, balls of twine, ferrets, and other soft fuzzy things..
:roll:

I do recommend getting all the IL2 FOrgotten Battles, Aces Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, and patching up to 4.02m and get online with the lads and see how it goes.

:beer:
Willie
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:40 am

... and don't be afraid to ask stooopid questions, repeatedly even.

We answer those kinds of questions best. (See "Ask Unka Fenster" on that too).

Even if it takes you a while to get the "Aces Expansion Pack", stick around. We can help you get ready for your debut.

We can show you where all the patches are and how, which ones and in what order they are installed.

The folk from the old country also fly on Sunday. Don't show them up too much, they're a touchy bunch.

Send an E-mail to me at ifalkon@aol.com and I'll send the application to you. Have your credit card and all information about your next of kin ready.

Again, don't worry about dumb questions. Getting everything ready is kinna complicated, not hard, just a wee bit confusing at times. We'll be here to help.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:42 am

On this note...is there anywhere at all that I can fly online with the stand-alone version? it is all that I have at the moment. I am really dumb when it comes to computer stuff, so I could use any help that is available out there. Thanks
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:49 am

This question is asked in the UBI forums a bit. I have never seen a positive response to it. I'm sure there are some PF servers somewhere, but I don't know where. There can't be many though.

Maybe one of us knows more?

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Which one...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:25 am

...of us? :oops:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: Which one...

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:15 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:...of us? :oops:
should we take a vote...............
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Tha depends...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:25 am

...upon those who know someone named More. :roll:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:51 am

I knew a guy named, Moore ,,,

does that count?
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:58 am

i don't know More but i knew a Les once
that's got to be worth a least a half of a point
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Ka-boom!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:58 am

:roll:

Howdy Opi!

We have MANY target drones in the squad so feel free to fill 'em full o' lead :lol:
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Antifreeze

Post by Antifreeze » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Guest,
If you download the hyperlobby program linked to above, there is a drop down menu there in the top right corner called 'connect / select game'. the game listed at the top (pacific fighters) is the standalone version. Sunday evening and there are currently 18 people flying in there. Compare this with the 'forgotten battles' lobby (4th on the list) with over a thousand.

Alternatively, google search for a program called 'all seeing eye'. You will have to pay a small monthly subscription fee to use this program, but it should have a lobby for pacific fighters stand-alone. I'm sure the ratio of people playing will probably be the same as in hyperlobby though.

When you installed the game, did it give you an option to install 'ubi online service'? This would allow you to join ubi's own game rooms, but I'm not sure they're popular; probably they are fairly empty. Hyperlobby is the best bet.