HELP!!!

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks Tac & guys for suggestions, running MemTest now and it picked up this at 40%, so I guess one or both sticks of ram are bad.

"Error found with word pair#15024042 or 15023514 (either could be the source)"

As I said ram is still under warranty so if it's at fault the shop can deal with it, don't want to take it there and then get a lage bill because its software related though.

Going to let it run for a few hours yet.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:32 pm

If it is bad those areas will fail again and again.

A while ago one of my sticks went bad, causing unexplainable re-boots and CTD problems.

If the problem lies in your first stick the problem will be more apparent. If on the second (or third/fourth), it usually is less noticeable as most applications will not require that much memory. IL-2 likes around 700 MB.

TS!
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:36 pm

well, I'd advice to backup all essential data on cd or other drives, including mailbox, desktop, my documents folders,

get win98 kickstart floppy or make bootable cd (eg. in nero using caldera dos, but not sure if this does the trick), boot in dos type format C:\
install xp (and "no, you would like to stick to fat32 as faster one)and let itself to activate, install drivers some basic or all useful programes like office, make backup copy of that partition with norton ghost under dos, so in case of any other problem you could restore sytem in 10 minutes max

if that won't help try to do the monkey, and start monkeying with hdd jumpers-bumpers, ram (first blow with compressed air into slot to clean it or use some soft clean painting brush to clean it - dust is serious reason of problem with ram), runnig mainboard tests etc. and bigger hammer :awkward:

anyway good luck, godspeed
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:17 pm

The danger with bad RAM (if it indeed is bad Grecian) is anything copied into memory can potentially be lost/corrupted. If you conclude it is the RAM, get the replacement ASAP and really limit (eliminate?) your computer time.

Let's say you have 2 sticks of 512MB, maybe you can safely use your machine if the bad stick is in slot 2. But IL-2 will use that 2nd stick so beware.

Let us know what you find out.

TactS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:17 pm

Yes MemTest has run for 300% and has picked up three errors, so it goes back to the shop (AGAIN :evil: ) I guess :(
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 am

Well Tac I'm working on the assumption that ram is at fault and leave it to the shop to sort out, not using main pc now, have disconnected.

Fired up my old steam driven pc.

Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:34 pm

Now decided to be brave and try and figure out if one or both Ram are bad.

I have 2 x512 PC2700.

On mother board are 4 slots, denoted A1/A2 B1/B2. Currently occupied are A1/A2.

First can I swop them into B1/B2 is this ok? This would establish that it is not the mother board slots at fault?

I could then try each in isolation.

Anything obvious a noob like me needs to know?

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:57 pm

hmmm you could have some problems with sticking ram to the 2nd pair of banks

isn't one for sdram and 2nd for ddram? one black and one blue?

I still hardly belive that your ram just refused to work without any mechanical invasion, try to gently clean the slots, maybe this will work?
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:24 pm

Or get a can of compressed air and give your motherboard a nice dust off :)
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 pm

:FI:Grecian wrote:Now decided to be brave and try and figure out if one or both Ram are bad.

I have 2 x512 PC2700.

On mother board are 4 slots, denoted A1/A2 B1/B2. Currently occupied are A1/A2.

First can I swop them into B1/B2 is this ok? This would establish that it is not the mother board slots at fault?

I could then try each in isolation.

Anything obvious a noob like me needs to know?
Well, I´m not so sure either about the B1/B2 slots ... I´ve been told that the A-slots should be used first but I suppose it doesn´t mater if you´d use the B-slots instead of the A-slots. Either the PC will boot up as usual or your screen will stay black (... and the RAM modules are history anyway (?) ...).

Just try to run each module on its own in the A-slots, I´d say. Try to figure out which one´s the faulty one and kick it to the store where you bought it! ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:59 pm

As silly as its sounds (Kitty), a dirty mother board can cause all kinds of bizzare problem. I take my computer out on our deck twice a year, take the covers off, and blow it out with the leaf blower (no, really, seriously!)

Igor
:FI:Igor
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:22 pm

that is why I suggested few posts before first to try to solve software problems, than clean the sockets with air or brush and if that would not work replacing the parts

the dust cause problem not only with fans :)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:23 pm

:FI:Igor wrote:As silly as its sounds (Kitty), a dirty mother board can cause all kinds of bizzare problem. I take my computer out on our deck twice a year, take the covers off, and blow it out with the leaf blower (no, really, seriously!)

Igor
Absolutely Igor! =D] I probably dust the motherboard at least 4 times a year. Dust = overheating.

Grecian afraid I can't answer your question with any degree of confidence. With RDRAM I must install sticks in pairs. I trust with other types of RAM you can use only 1 stick without any problems. Assuming so, the best you can do is take 1 out at a time and test. Maybe you can determine which one is causing you the grief. However, this is no real help maybe, as it will limit your machine to just 512 MB (or is that ok?).

As for swapping to the "B" slots, this will not solve your problem, as it is very unlikely that the socket is damaged. Also, I believe this generally cannot be done.

TactS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:30 pm

And of course I trust you have taken both sticks out, examined them and the slots, and ensured that they were firmly seated back in their slots? Yes I'm sure all this has been done. Heat will lift your RAM if not fasten in tightly with clips (which all modern PCs have nowadays).

TS!