X-52 problem

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

X-52 problem

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:42 am

The stick and throttle function perfectly in game but now none of the buttons do! I've checked in the Saitek controller software and the button presses are definitely registering, they just don't seem to be getting through to the game. It has always worked perfectly for me before - the only changes that I have made prior to this were to my sound card drivers last night. I have my joystick software profile loaded and I'm doing things exactly as I have been doing while there were no problems.

I'm completely at a loss as to what might be causing this - any ideas? :(
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:16 am

.....load up the game and go itno the game options and reconfigure all the buttons on your new stick, especially the HOTAS setup at the bottom of the list ;)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:50 pm

I don't use the game to configure my stick buttons but instead use my joystick proramming software. It mimics keypresses which is handy for controlling my TIR as well... hmmm, which makes me think... the button on my stick that usually centres the TIR wasn't working either, which means that the buttons aren't getting through to the game or to the TIR software, but the HOTAS elements (which I *do* have configured from in-game) work well.

Ah f*** it anyway, I'll sort something out when I have a bit of time - but I haven't had any time to myself lately :(

Anyways, thanks mate!
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Don't be surprise Moog

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:38 pm

My X45 (2nd one) has NO functioning buttons at all.

Saitek make crappy sticks. They last 6-12 months and then die in my experience.

Never again......

:evil:
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:02 pm

well its obvious really, in order to fire you cannons, you'll need to map a button for your stick in the game and so on for the rest of the buttons. :?
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:40 pm

If you select your profile and then select notepad and press the buttons on the stick due the corresponding keys get typed into notepad.

For example on my X45 throttle I have flaps up /down mapped on a hatswitch to the F/V keyboard commands so if I select the profile and open notepad and press the hatswitch it types FVFV... etc.

s!
Snoop
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I had EXACTLY...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:27 am

...the same prob when I got my X-36!

After a LOT of playing around trying to figure out why my functions would quit working, I discovered that though the hardware was fine, the software SUCKED BIG TIME!!!!!!

Solution:

1. Do a complete uninstall of the Saitek crap! Be sure to get into your registry and clean out ANYTHING that says Saitek.

2. In your file Explorer, find any Saitek files and DELETE THEM.

3. Re-install the drivers only!
(Actually I was only able to do this once, and don't remember how I managed it. Ordinarily the whole software package installs.)
If unable to do a seperate install of the drivers, install the software per instructions, but DO NOT... repeat DO NOT USE THE CONFIGURATION SOFTWARE!!! Yes, it's cool. Yes, it's handy. Yes you can do seperate game profiles. But it ain't much good if you can't use it now, is it?

4. Verify in your System that the Saitek drivers are working.

5. Configure your Stick and Throttle Quadrant ONLY in the "Controls" section of the game. Any game.

I've been using my X-36 since before i joined the m8s back in '42...I mean '03. I have had no problem other than occasionally opening up the stick to re-shim the gimbals. ( About due for that, too. )

The Saitek software doesn't communicate well with IL2-any version. Had the same prob with MechWarrior and the Comanche series.
Once I quit using the Saitek for anything other than the drivers I have had ZERO probs with my button configs.

My dos Centavos...
Last edited by :FI:Heloego on Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think you may have misunderstood me...

Since getting the stick last Christmas it has been working PERFECTLY - never a single problem whatsoever and a joy to use! It's just that since I moved the computer the other day due to getting new furniture (plugging my 4 USB devices back into different ports - would this make a difference??) and tried to reconfigure my sound card, the buttons haven't been working in-game.

Now if this had been a gripe I'd had from day one I'd have shipped the thing back to Mr. Saitek with a horse's head attached, but in all honesty this stick has been wonderful - until now!

The reason I put the post up was in the hope that one of you guys might have gone through the same thing before, namely that your stick and settings were perfect and then out of nowhere you lose button functionality.

Deathsledge - I *do* realise that I can reprogram all the commands from in-game... sure I've had a MS Precision Pro 2 for five years so that's what I HAD to do before. I just thought that there might have been a really simple no-brainer solution to my current problem (I posted it late, drunk and frustrated the other night, minimal mental functionality) WITHOUT having to go back to square one and reprogram everything from scratch in-game, although it's starting to look that way, and at least then I can be sure that it will work.

Since moving the computer, I've lost ASIO and MIDI functionality on my external audio processor as well so I'm beginning to think that something very bad happened during this time. Might it be something as simple as plugging pre-configured USB devices back into different USB ports??

PS: Snoop, no luck on the notepad front - nothing from my Saitek profile is showing up as it should do in text form. Methinks it's time to clean the softare off my system and take Helo's advice ;)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:54 pm

Popped in some new drivers and hey presto, everything's back to normal.

Now I just gotta fix my sound stuff and get used to the ergonomics of this setup.

Thanks guys
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac General

Interestingly enough...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:32 am

...that crashing IL-2 on the home page is me!!! :oops:

Seems that my config file is all screwed up, too! Attempts to re-config my stick and throttle were only partially successful. Throttle works nicely now, but stick won't recognize ANY changes, including X and Y axes.

Looks like I get to follow my own advice! :lol:

The power surge the other night is suspect.

And, as an aside, I recommend checking ALL functions prior to attempting takeoff. :oops:
Forum Junky

Re: Interestingly enough...

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:58 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:And, as an aside, I recommend checking ALL functions prior to attempting takeoff. :oops:
...yeah, I hate being 45 minutes into a coop and feeling that slight pressure on my bladder - could have been avoided so easily with a little pre-flight 'check' :lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac General

Woe be me!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:42 am

Spent all day working on my X-36 issues.

Checking it on the wife's PC (same PC with her HD Kit installed) it shows as "connected", but the X- and Y- axes don't work.
Finally got it to show "connected" on my PC (same PC with my HD installed) after re-installing the Sound Card drivers, but still the X and Y don't work.

So either the shelling it took during the power spike damaged the Game Port of my Sound Card, or the pots for the X-36. Installed my old Thrustmaster FCS and had the same exact prob. Hope the SC isn't burned, as so far all other functions are copacetic.

Since: A) I don't have another sound card,
and B) I don't have another Flight Control Set,
I won't be flying until I get this issue resolved. :cry:

This is particularly embarassing as it happened right after i claimed I was having no probs with my X-36.

:oops:
Post Maniac General

Update:

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:04 am

After trying the serial and USB connections of the subject X-36 with no resolution I enabled the on-board sound on my MB. This, assuming the game port circuit of the PCI sound card was fried.

No luck there, either.

Guess this points toward a software issue again, but re-installs of the Saitek bloat-ware or drivers doesn't fix it.

If it ends up being a W98SE prob I suppose I'll have to pay the piper and get XP. (This may be a good thing, but if it doesn't fix the issue I'm gonna cry. Scary thought, that.)
Post Maniac General

Update #2

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat May 07, 2005 4:11 am

I believe I have narrowed it to my once-trusty Joystick.

WTH, it has served me well for the last three years, and regular shimming of gimbals, lubing of same, and re-installs of the drivers can't keep it going forever, right?

Looks like I will have to upgrade.

After Duxford. :lol:

So no flying until late July, it seems. :cry:

Meanwhile...

...Cya in CoD! :D
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat May 07, 2005 8:56 pm

"So no flying until late July, it seems." - Helo

:shock: :(

Order a stupid joystick already. Please! [-o<