Swiftstrike's real life pilot lessons

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
swiftstrike

Swiftstrike's real life pilot lessons

Post by swiftstrike » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Well I hope yal have noticed I havent been on recently becuase I have been getting in some pilot lessons :D. Next year I will be soloing in a cessna 172 hopefully. It gets real bumpy up around 2000-3000 in austin this time of year its hard to keep the plane on track. I've been practicing stalls and landings. And trust me real life is a whole lot easyer than a simulator. On my first lesson my instructor even let me land the plane which was a breeze with a gear on the nose and not on the tail. Its also easyer casue no ones shooting at you and theres no holes in your wings or oil on the windsheild. One problem remained. I wished death to my dentist who accidently filled a cavity wrong and now I have to go get it fixed so my tooth doesnt burst while im flying. I also got to pull some Gs with a 90 degree turn which makes the people in the flight simulators seem like wimps when they black out cause I felt fine in a 90 degree turn at about 140.
Hope to see you in the skys :D
I also heard a person that sounded like one of my FI mates in Austin Burgstrem international about a week ago.
Swift :-k
:FI:swiftstrike
Strike Swift+Strike Sure
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:47 am

Sounds great mate! Way to go.

BTW what icon settings are you using? :D
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:20 am

Icons on or off :?:

8) M8 S!

Damn Tac beat me to it :lol:
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:18 pm

"I also heard a person that sounded like one of my FI mates in Austin Burgstrem international about a week ago."

hey, you know that person there in Austin Burgstrem international that you heard? well, guess what, pal?

----it wasn't me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i agree though on the flying... as most here that have flown most likely will, in real life its somewhat easier than in IL2. in some respects, of course. only thing is, flying a Cessna in comparison to say a high performance bf-109, or say a P-40, is peas from a "different" pod. the Cessna was designed and engineered to be easy and safe to fly... the old warplanes were designed to be death-dealing machines. but of course you know that, but there may be some that don't.

now i never finished my flying lessons (ran out of time and money years ago when i was taking them) and of course have never flown a WW2 warplane, but i've spoken to many that have over the years (and still do every chance i get.) and most of the old timers that i know or have known say that actually flying the powerful fighters wasn't that hard in most cases... under normal circumstances. its just that there were so MANY things to remember... and sometimes those important things were forgotten in the midst of heated, life or death combat. and those things could kill you as fast and easy as an enemy's bullet. because in combat, having to yank those babies around to kill or keep from being killed, they flew completely different than when just tooling around over the airfield on a sight seeing trip.

the speeds were greater of course, much greater, and the stick and other control actions required were many, many times faster. a slight/short memory lapse could cause any number of very bad things to happen to the plane and hence to the pilot. one pilot that i spoke with likened it to always "flying" a step ahead of yourself... and the enemy... and even the plane. or trying to, anyway. to keep from killing yourself.

and unlike the modern civi planes, most of the old fighers had vicious bad habits... doing THIS or THAT say, would cause a flat spin, doing THIS or THAT would cause something else bad to happen. or sometimes NOT doing THIS or THAT (at the right time) would cause the badness. sometimes, THIS or THAT bad thing happend for no reason at all, no matter what you did or didn't do. and you had to be ready for it all... and react instantly or you died. and sometimes, no matter what you did, you still died.

setting here thinking about all of that, is a scary thing to me. those old guys were tough as nails... men of steel actually... to even climb in one of those old planes and fly into deadly combat in them. they had balls!

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:55 pm

Swifty!

great to hear the lessons are going well!

I'm sure you will make a great pilot!

but as far as which is "easier"

let us hear your thoughts as your cockpit workload increases and when you fly cross-country and when VFR turns to IFR and when you transition through different controled airspace and when that engine starts to sound funny ...

and when

the instructor leaves and you do all that solo!

:)

study well!

Fal "easier my aunt fanny" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:03 pm

I'm with Falkky. :lol:

172's are pretty good "Spam cans". I prefer "tube and rag" planes myself. It's so cool when you decide to sideslip one in on final and hear the fabric drumming from the pulses of air off the prop. :D

I learned to fly in a "shortwing" Piper, the PA-22 Colt. FUN little thing it was. Wasn't near as much fun as a Stearman though. ;)
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:33 am

That's very cool Swift! Hey I didn't know you lived in Austin! I live in South West Austin at the Y at Oakhill. All of us in Texas should find a good time/place and meet :D Heck maybe an IL2 land party at my place :D

Btw, I'm also considering taking some flying lessons so I'm interested on who you are taking lessons with here in Austin!!

Snoop